Fort Sam Houston was designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1975. As one of the Army's oldest installations and now part of Joint Base San Antonio, Fort Sam Houston boasts the largest collection of historic structures -- more than 900 buildings. Even more consequential than the numbers is the historical integrity of the post's different sections which represent different eras of construction. Careful preservation of these areas, along with two museums, allows the post to live with its history, surrounded by existence of the traditions of excellence established when the first soldier arrived here in 1845.
Army Medical Department Museum (Fort Sam Houston)
The Army Medical Department Museum traces the U. S. Army's contributions to medicine and medical evacuation from 1775 to the present. The museum campus includes a military medicine reference and research facility and also augments the training of the more than 36,000 military and civilian students each year.
Quadrangle (Fort Sam Houston)
The Fort Sam Houston Quadrangle is the oldest building on the post, built in 1876 as a supply depot. Children like to visit the Quadrangle, where peacocks, ducks, deer and rabbits roam freely.
At the Hangar 9/Edward H. White Museum, constructed around 1918, an old wooden hangar houses the Edward H. White II Museum of Aerospace Medicine, the oldest museum of the Air Force.
Lackland is the basic military center for Air Force recruits, one of four training centers nationwide, as well as the site of the Defense Language Institute English Language Center and Inter-American Air forces Academy for International students. The Gateway Historical Collection is the repository for photos and documents pertaining to both Kelly and Lackland AFBs and early military aviation in San Antonio. Base tours for general public guests are offered on the second Tuesday each month.
Gateway Historical Collection (Lackland Air Force Base)
The Gateway Historical Collection's photos and documents pertain to both Kelly and Lackland Air Force Bases and early military aviation in San Antonio.
Randolph is home to the 12th Flying Training Wing, the only unit in the Air Force conducting both pilot instructor training and combat systems officer training. In addition, the 12th FTW provides host-base support to more than 30 Department of Defense units, including HQ Air Education and Training Command, Air Force Personnel Center and Air Force Recruiting Service.
USO San Antonio provides outreach services to active duty and retired military personnel and their families. Friendly staff members and volunteers are ready to assist you with information about lodging, transportation, special events, local attractions, and more. There are two San Antonio locations: downtown and at the airport. The Downtown Community Center provides a comfortable home away from home for military members and their families to relax and enjoy themselves just steps away from the historic River Walk. The San Antonio International Airport USO is in Terminal 2 just outside security.
The oldest VFW Post in Texas, located on the Museum Reach section of the San Antonio River Walk, serves cold beer in a low-key way. The 17-room mansion was built in 1904, and because of its distinction, it is open to the public.