Established along the banks of the San Antonio River in 1731, Mission San Juan Capistrano offered a rich farm and pasture land, becoming a regional supplier of agricultural produce, which helped support the missions, local settlements and presidio garrisons. The chapel, with its open bell tower is still in use. A more elaborate church was never completed. The site includes a self-guided nature trail.
San Antonio's historic missions are an official UNESCO World Heritage site.